Whole wheat muffins with shredded zucchini, banana, creamy ricotta cheese, dark chocolate chips and spices. Rich in fiber, protein and nutrients, these delicious muffins are the ultimate healthy treat.
They’re breakfast. A snack. Lunch! Second lunch. Dessert! Middle of the night munchies. Whatever your calling is, these baked delights aim to please.
I don’t know about you guys, but the thought of hot muffins being spread with creamy almond butter that melts into every crumb and crevice gets me out of bed faster than any alarm ever could.
Since I add it to my pancake on occasion, I figured why not add it to my muffins. The ricotta gives them a delicious little fluff, adds extra moisture and gives the muffins an extra dose of protein. All of which make me oh-so satisfied.
Second on the list of new breakfast favorites is zucchini.
In addition to the added dose of fiber, the zucchini actually contributes a nice bulk to the muffins while adding extra moisture. Zucchinis are quite flavorless on their own, though they soak up other flavors like a sponge. Other flavors such as warm cinnamon, spicy nutmeg, and of course rich dark chocolate.
If weekend baking is on your agenda, give these delicious muffins a shot. They’re perfect to have on hand for weekday breakfasts or snacks on-the-go.
Plus, is there anything in this world better than a muffin that will not contribute to a muffin-top?? Case closed!
Whole Wheat Zucchini, Ricotta & Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (amounts to 1 medium-large sized zucchini) — remove excess water by firmly blotting with paper towels
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour– sub for all-purpose or oat flour
- 1 medium-sized ripe banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk — sub for milk of choice
- 1/3 cup baking blend Truvia
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place 12 muffin-cup liners in muffin cups, and coat liners with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mashed banana, honey, oil, vanilla, Truvia and ricotta. Stir in shredded zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, spices, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Do not over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Evenly distribute batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in pan before handling.
Nutrition Facts per serving (one muffin)
Calories: 167; Total Fat: 6 gm; Saturated Fat: 4 gm; Cholesterol: 33 mg; Sodium: 106 mg; Carbohydrates: 26 gm; Fiber: 2 gm; Sugar: 11 gm; Protein: 4 gm