Whole grain muffins bursting with fresh juicy peaches, floral coriander and crunchy almonds. A nutritious breakfast that emulates the sweet essence of summer. Current status: drinking a hot mug of Southern Pecan flavored coffee and eating an exceptionally tasty peach muffin. I just got back from Birmingham yesterday and I’m already missing all the friendly faces, exceptional produce and cozy hometown-feel the town had to offer.
Over the course of my two day stay, I enjoyed my first peach of the season and consumed my weight in heirloom tomatoes. I can’t tell you how immaculately delicious those Alabama tomatoes are. But I can tell you that I managed to smuggle 5 lbs of local heirlooms on the flight back to Florida with me. Victory!Here in the South, where high humidity, rain and long hot nights give peaches plenty of time to plump up, the fruit is exceptional at the peak of its season (which happens to be a little later this year than usual). You know your peach is of ample ripeness when it’s so full of sugary juices that leaning over the kitchen sink is the best approach to eating it.
When shopping for peaches at your local farmers market or grocery store, look for signs of shriveled skin around the stem. When you see wrinkles, that’s the sign of a top-notch peach. You can also give it a gentle, yet firm squeeze to assess for ripeness. If there’s a little bit of a give there, the fruit is almost ripe, but may need another day or two on the counter to soften up. These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, old fashioned oats and Greek yogurt to create a protein and fiber-rich breakfast or snack. They are incredibly moist and light, yet sufficiently filling. They taste like a baked good you would find at a local coffee shop, except with a much more appealing nutrition profile. I’ve been enjoying them with a light smear of almond butter and sprinkle of warm cinnamon.
These muffins are also completely free of oil and refined sugar and only contain 2 grams of fat per serving. Pack them up for a convenient and nutritious work or school snack, and don’t forget to stock up on some extra peaches!
Peachy keen, jelly bean. Name that movie.
Whole Grain Peach and Coriander Muffins
- 1 medium-sized ripe banana
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla 0% fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 heaping cup of peeled and diced peaches ~1 large or 2 small peaches
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine banana, eggs, oats, yogurt, honey and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for ~1 minute until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, coriander, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Fold in diced peaches. Spoon into muffin tins, filling about 3/4 of the way full. Top with slivered almonds and bake for ~24-26 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Join the Conversation:
What has been the best summer fruit you’ve enjoyed this season?
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out some of my other favorite muffin recipes:
Whole Wheat Zucchini, Ricotta and Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins