Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf combines the sweet, nutty, and spicy elements of classic carrot cake into a whole-grain, nutritious loaf.This post is in partnership with So Delicious® Beverages and Yogurt Alternatives. I have been compensated for my time commitment, however all opinions are my own.
This plant-powered, vegan treat is brimming with omega-3 ALA fatty acids, antioxidant-rich carrots, and whole-grain goodness from rolled oats. Cinnamon and ginger compose the classic spice duo, while coconut sugar and maple syrup add just enough sweet essence.
This loaf is perfect for serving at a spring brunch or keeping on hand for a quick weekday morning breakfast. For best results, serve it warm with a smear of nut butter (for example, almond or cashew butter) or your favorite buttery spread.
How to Make Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf:
To make this loaf naturally dairy-free, I use So Delicious® Unsweetened Coconutmilk Beverage, which lends rich creaminess. The coconut flavor is faint enough to not compete with other flavors, making it ideal for baking. I also love adding a splash to coffee or blending it into morning smoothies. Bonus: All So Delicious products are plant-based and verified by the Non-GMO Project’s product verification program.
If you happen to be shopping at Sprouts Farmers Market for your next carton of So Delicious Coconutmilk Beverage, be sure to also pick up one of their delicious new Oatmilk Frozen Desserts!
The other key component to making this loaf plant-based is using a flax egg. To make a flax egg, simply combine 1 Tbsp ground flaxeed with 2 Tbsp water and let it sit until gelatinized, about 5 minutes. A flax egg acts as a binder (similarly to an egg) in this loaf.
Which Oil Do I Use In Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf?
Either melted and cooled coconut oil or a neutral vegetable oil will certainly work here. Avoid using vegan butters because their water content will likely vary depending on brand, which could affect the final outcome of the loaf.
If you’re unsure of what type of coconut oil to purchase, look for the word “virgin” on the label, which typically means the oil is unrefined and higher quality.
How Fine Do I Grate Carrots for Carrot Cake Loaf?
The carrots should be coarsely grated, so shoot for the large holes of a box grater for the best results. You don’t want big chunks of carrot in the loaf, however it’s nice for them to retain some texture.
What Do I Put in a Carrot Cake Loaf?
Classic contenders in carrot cake include grated carrots (obviously), chopped walnuts, and warm spices, such as cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. You could certainly add raisins too, however I like to keep them optional for folks that dislike the dried fruits.
In addition, you can choose to add shredded coconut, chopped pecans, or even candied pineapple to this loaf.
If you make this recipe, be sure to share on Instagram and tag @dishingouthealth and #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations! Additionally, I’d love if you could leave a review on the post and share with your friends.
Other Healthy Bread Recipes:
Vegan Carrot Cake Loaf
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk Beverage
- 1 Tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup loosely packed grated carrot
- 4 oz. whole wheat pastry flour about 1 cup
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a loaf pan with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Combine oats and coconutmilk beverage in a large bowl; let sit 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine flaxseed meal with 2 Tbsp water; let sit 5 minutes.
- Pour flaxseed mixture into bowl with soaked oats. Stir in maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, and coconut sugar; whisk to combine. Fold in grated carrots.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt; stir with a whisk.
- Combine flour mixture and carrot mixture; stir until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in ½ cup of the chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and scatter remaining ¼ cup chopped walnuts on top. Bake until loaf is golden brown and firm, and a toothpick or knife comes out mostly clean, about 1 hour 15 mins.
- Let rest for 10 minutes in pan; remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store leftovers covered at room temperature for up to 4 days, or slice and freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or toaster oven until tender and warmed through.