These honestly transpired out of my craving for something savory, satisfying and spicy one morning after eating pancakes the night before for dinner. Pancakes with a side of dark chocolate washed down with a decaf French vanilla latte. What?? I guess brinner for the winner.
My food cravings are a beast of their own.
I love the versatility of eggs and how they instantly add great flavor and texture to different foods. Pizzas, peppers, hashes, tacos, GAH! If you like it, then you should put an egg on it.
One of the many great things about this dish is you can totally customize the fillings to your liking. I used diced sweet potatoes and apple-maple chicken sausage, though you could use any starch, vegetable and/or meat you like.
Perhaps brown rice and some turkey sausage? Hash browns, turkey bacon and diced peppers/onions? Maybe even throw some enchilada sauce or Salsa Verde in the mix? There are endless options to experiment with and for an easily bored, scattered food-infatuated freak, that is music to my ears.
If a breakfast like this just does not seem feasible for a weekday morning, do not fear! 75% of this can be prepped the night before. The only step that needs to happen the morning of is actually stuffing and baking the peppers, which takes max 15 minutes. Eating them only takes 2-3 minutes because they are THAT good.
The fact that this dish is high in fiber and protein AND provides a healthy dose of fat, it will keep you full and satisfied well into your morning. You will walk into work or school with your GAME FACE on feeling empowered by these Tex-Mex noms.
Tex-Mex Breakfast Stuffed Peppers
- 2 sweet bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato (skin-on), finely diced
- 2 links of chicken sausage, chopped – I used Al Fresco Apple-Maple Chicken Sausage – highly recommend!
- 1/3 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup salsa of choice – I used Whole Foods (365 brand) Roasted Chipotle Salsa
- 2 tbsp. 2% milk shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme (~2 sprigs)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil for cooking
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cut peppers in half and remove ribs and seeds. Place peppers cut side up in a shallow microwave-safe dish. Add 1/3 cup of water and cover dish with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove and set aside
- In the meantime, heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt oil. Add diced sweet potatoes, chicken sausage, thyme, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Sauté for 7-8 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes, until sweet potatoes are softened.
- Pour salsa in the bottom of a 9X12 inch baking dish. Place peppers cut side up and spoon filling evenly into each pepper, creating a hollow for the egg. Crack 1 egg into each hollow opening.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until whites of eggs are no longer opaque. Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over peppers and place back in the oven for an additional 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted. Top with avocado and serve!
Nutrition Facts per Serving (1/4th of recipe; 1 stuffed pepper half)
Calories: 225; Total Fat: 11 gm; Saturated Fat: 4 gm; Cholesterol: 185 mg; Sodium: 239 mg; Carbohydrates: 18 gm; Fiber: 3 gm; Sugar: 3.5 gm; Protein: 11 gm