Toasted oats and heart-healthy nuts and seeds ribboned with sweet notes of maple and tahini, warm cinnamon, and aromatic cardamom. Enjoy this nutrient-packed granola stirred into yogurt with fresh berries or simply by the handful.On Monday you need a comfort hug. Well, I certainly do. And what better than a warm batch of fresh granola that makes your entire home smell like HEAVEN? I’d like to see Yankee Candle even try to top this scent. It’s basically an edible form of aromatherapy. This homemade granola is miles ahead of anything you could buy off the shelf. It’s naturally sweetened with maple syrup and fresh orange juice, and made with only a fraction of the oil that store-bought normally contains.
Tahini lends a decadent sense of richness, with a nutty and slightly bitter edge. A classic hummus component, the unctuous sesame seed paste is super-versatile in both sweet and savory dishes. (And honestly just one of my favorite condiments ever.)Tahini and cardamom add savory depth to balance out the sweetness of the maple syrup. With each successive stir, the tahini mixture fully coats the oats and works its way into the nooks and crannies of the walnuts, creating ultra toasty, delightfully sweet nuggets of crunchy goodness.
Be sure to use a mild, not-too-grassy olive oil so that its savory flavor doesn’t overpower the other ingredients (I like Colavita brand). Otherwise, liquid coconut oil is a great substitution.
Whether for breakfast, a snack, or dessert, I cannot get enough of this stuff.Prepare a batch at the start of the week and enjoy a healthy snack or breakfast on-the-go all week long!
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup dry roasted pistachios shelled
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 cup tahini sesame-seed paste
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place first 8 ingredients (oats through salt) in a large bowl; toss to combine. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients (tahini through vanilla); stir with a whisk. Pour wet ingredients into dry, stirring to combine.
- Spread mixture evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes at room temperature.