I was really set out on a mission to master the balance of sweet and savory with this salad. The Brussels could be shaved and served raw, however I prefer to slightly sauté them to reduce the bitterness. So, we have crunchy, yet slightly bitter Brussels paired with sweet apples and shallots, smoky bacon and a sweet, yet sharp dressing. My taste buds go nuts.
If it were up to me, burgers and Brussels sprouts would be their own food groups, but I do love the fact that we have fruits, vegetables, nuts and some protein/fat all in one bowl. So do we have a salad or a side dish? You decide. According to me – It’s both ;).
Oh and we are also mastering the art of simplicity with this salad because the dressing only has THREE ingredients. Hallelujah. When is the last time you looked on the ingredient label of a salad dressing and it had less than TEN ingredients? The shorter the ingredient list, the better. Always, always. Especially for convenience and/or frozen foods.
This dressing would really work for just about any salad. I like to make homemade dressings in batches and store them in mason jars so I always have something on hand to work with. My other alternative for dressing is a good quality balsamic vinegar. Always worth the extra $$!
The bacon preference is up to you, too. I used two slices of turkey bacon, however center-cut bacon would be a good alternative if you’re not a turkey bacon fan. Center-cut bacon is sliced close to the bone, so it’s less fatty than standard strips.
Speaking of…. I plan on using some tonight on top of Hawaiian turkey burgers with pineapple and BBQ sauce – photos to come! 😉
Shaved Brussels Salad with Apples, Bacon and Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
Serves four; great served hot or cold!
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 slices turkey or center-cut bacon
- 1 red apple, chopped into small pieces
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds, or nuts of choice
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon (~1 tbsp)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon ~3-4 minutes per side, or until crispy. Transfer to a cutting board and chop into pieces.
- Pour oil into heated skillet and add shallots and apple pieces. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Trim ends of Brussels sprouts and remove any outer damaged leaves and discard. Using a mandoline slicer or sharp knife, slice sprouts into thin pieces. Add Brussels to skillet and sauté ~5-6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In the meantime, whisk salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Add salt as desired.
- Pour dressing over cooked Brussels, apples and shallot. Toss to combine. Top with slivered almonds and serve. Great served hot or cold!
Nutrition Facts per Serving (1/4th of entire recipe)
Calories: 141; Total Fat: 6.5 gm; Saturated Fat: .5 gm; Sodium: ~150 mg; Cholesterol: 5 mg; Carbohydrates: 17 gm; Fiber: 5 gm; Sugar: 6 gm; Protein: 5.5 gm