These should really be called “melting pot” tacos. We have components of all different cuisines joining forces in one harmonious taco. Tacos = harmony, right? Or maybe my how-many-things-can-I-shove-in-a-tortilla-and-call-a-taco phase is just never-ending. Not the worst problem to have… 😉
I’m honestly just nuts over this chicken marinade. I chose to use it in tacos (because, well, it was Tuesday), though I would’ve enjoyed it with just about anything – brown rice, quinoa (alone), couscous, pita, ANYTHING! So much flavor.
The cilantro-lime crema is my go-to for any kind of taco. Using Greek yogurt keeps it light, refreshing and not too overwhelming in flavor. With an extra squeeze of lime juice and maybe a tablespoon of water, the crema also makes for a great salad dressing. Reserve some crema and a few pieces of sesame-ginger chicken and you’ve got yourself a great salad the next day for lunch.
The whole recipe comes together in a cinch – ideal for any week night dinner. Very minimal prep work, or slicing and dicing. Serve with a side of roasted veggies or a side salad and voila! Well-balanced, nutritious and as always, delish 😉
Sesame-Ginger Chicken Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Crema
Makes 6 tacos
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or tenders), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 tortillas of choice (I used white corn)
- 1 1/2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced (half for marinade, half for crema)
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger or 1 tsp freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 whole avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup freshly torn cilantro
- 1/2 cup quinoa (or brown rice)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth for cooking
- 1 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper
- Add soy sauce, juice from 1/2 lime, ginger, garlic, tahini and a dash of black pepper to one-gallon sized Ziploc bag. Add chicken, securely zip bag and massage marinade into chicken pieces. Once evenly distributed, stick in refrigerator for ~20 mins to allow flavors to marry. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add marinated chicken and sauté for ~12-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- In the meantime, bring 1/2 cup low-sodium broth and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, lower heat to low and let simmer (covered) for ~15 mins, until water is absorbed and quinoa can be “fluffed” with a fork.
- Prepare crema by whisking Greek yogurt, remaining half of lime juice, ~1-2 tsbp of finely chopped cilantro and a dash of salt. If mix is too thick, add 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Assemble tacos by layering quinoa on corn tortilla and topping with chicken, avocado, crema, fresh cilantro and an extra squeeze of lime juice. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts per Taco (ingredients evenly distributed)
Calories: 310; Total Fat: 10 gm; Saturated Fat: 1 gm; Cholesterol: 60 mg; Sodium: 360 mg; Carbohydrates: 29 gm; Fiber: 4.5 gm; Sugar: 3 gm; Protein: 30 gm