I decided I wanted Valentines Day to come one day early on Dishing Out Health. Since I have a special place in my heart for red velvet and it’s unofficially the official dessert of Valentines Day, I give you, a red velvet protein smoothie.
Beets are an excellent source of phytonutrients that provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification support. It may seem a little odd to add them to smoothies, however the prominent flavor of almond extract and rich cocoa help lessen the flavor impact of the beets. You’ll hardly notice they’re hiding in there.
I will try adding just about any vegetable to protein smoothies. It’s a great way to pack in extra fiber and nutrients with little added calories and sugar.
Serve in a wine glass and drink out of a fancy straw for added enjoyment.
Red Velvet Protein Smoothie
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use Perfect Fit)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup roasted beets (~1 whole beet or 1/3 cup sliced beets from a jar)
- 1/3 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp (2 packets) Stevia
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (sub for vanilla)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup ice
- Add all ingredients to a high power blender and blend until smooth. Top with chocolate shavings for extra decadence.
Nutrition facts per smoothie
Calories: 250; Total Fat: 2.5 gm; Saturated Fat: 0 gm; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 192 mg; Carbohydrates: 28 gm; Fiber: 9 gm; Sugar: 13 gm; Protein: 42 gm