I’ve been asking my friends at the gym what their favorite game day appetizer is to munch on. Chicken wings, queso, sliders and hot spinach dip all made the list, however nachos won by a long shot.
To be honest with you, I just found out yesterday who was even playing in the Super Bowl. I’m pretty confident most women would agree that half the fun of watching the game is just sharing the experience with friends and filling up on some delicious appetizers and brews 😉
Nachos are a necessity for Super Bowl Sunday. At least for this girl. These nachos, however, are covered in vegetables for less damage. Think of them as a healthified hybrid of classic loaded nachos you may find at your local Mexican restaurant.
I have a serious infatuation with Mexican food for this very reason. Not only is it delicious, comforting and easy to prepare, but it can also easily be made ridiculously healthy and gluten-free without skimping a bit on flavor.
Healthy Loaded Chicken Nachos
Serves roughly 8 generous portions
Spicy Ranch Sauce:
- 3 tbsp reduced fat Ranch dressing
- 1 tsp Sriracha – add more or less depending on desired level of heat
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp reduced sodium taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 8 oz bag of blue corn tortilla chips (or tortilla chips of choice)
- 1/2 16 oz can of black beans, drained
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained (I used Ro*Tel)
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Optional toppings: 0% fat plain Greek yogurt, guacamole
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Whisk ingredients for Spicy Ranch Sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Spray ceramic or glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Spread chips on the bottom of the dish.
7. Add chopped tomatoes.
9. Remove from oven. Top with chopped avocado and sliced green onion.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Nutrition facts per serving (1/8 of entire dish)
Calories: 285; Total Fat: 12.5 gm; Saturated Fat: 2 gm; Cholesterol: 23 mg; Sodium: 300 mg; Carbohydrates: 28 gm; Fiber: 4 gm; Sugar: 1 gm; Protein: 13 gm