Grilled shrimp with curry-spiced yogurt, radish, lemon, and cilantro, piled high on grilled slabs of bread. These tartines are well-suited for a laid-back lunch or dinner on the fly. Happy Memorial Day, friends! I hope everyone had a relaxing long weekend filled with good food, loads of laughs, and some solid R&R.
I was lucky enough to spend the last few days in Tampa soaking in some quality time with my family and close friends. It always recharges me to get back to my roots and be surrounded by so much unconditional love. The past few months at work have been pretty damn stressful, so being back home felt almost therapeutic.Speaking of therapeutic, can we talk about toast (er, tartines) for a sec.? This recipe was inspired by an appetizer I had at an eclectic little bar in St. Augustine back in December and I’ve been wanting to remake it ever since.
The concept is beyond simple: good-quality bread, spicy yogurt spread, grilled shrimp, veggies, and herbs. But man, when all these forces collide, you are in for one heck of a treat.The warm notes of the curry and paprika curb the tangy bite from the yogurt and highlight its sweetness, resulting in the perfect flavor combination. And after you slather on an overzealous amount of said yogurt, some crisp veggies and punchy herbs are all you need to bedazzle these easy shrimp tartines.
And did I mention they come together in less than 15 minutes? So yeah, there’s that.And can I let you in on a secret? The shrimp is even better when it’s grilled. And if you go to the trouble of firing up the grill (or grill pan!), throw the bread and lemon on there too. The charred smokiness really elevates the whole “I’m eating toast for dinner” experience.
Toast (er, TARTINES) happen to be a weeknight ritual in my house. As long as the toppings are plentiful and the bread is fresh, I will toast to this meal any night of the week.
Try this protein-packed, easy-peasy recipe this week for a shrimp-sational (yes, we went there) appetizer or meal.
Because we all know short weeks feel the longest and quick weeknight recipes are CLUTCH.
Grilled Shrimp Tartines with Curried Yogurt
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt divided
- 4 1-inch thick slices of bakery bread
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 7-oz. container plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Optional: thinly sliced peppers halved cherry tomatoes, pepitas
- Place shrimp, olive oil, 1/2 tsp. of the salt, and a pinch of black pepper in a bowl. Toss to coat.
- Heat a grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add shrimp; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Brush both sides of bread with remaining 1 tsp. olive oil. Place on pan and toast 1 to 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Place lemon, flesh side-down, on pan and cook 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Place Greek yogurt, curry powder, paprika, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, and a pinch of black pepper in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Spread yogurt mixture evenly on each piece of grilled/toasted bread. Top evenly with shrimp, radishes, cilantro, and additional toppings, if desired. Drizzle with lemon juice.