Whole grain, high protein gingerbread donuts topped with a sweet, creamy maple cream cheese frosting. Fluffy cake-like donuts with all of the comforting tastes of the holidays. You have to agree: your breakfast certainly deserves these!
Spoiler alert: I’ve officially decided I am going to be Santa and leave a batch of these in everyones stocking this year. Even your pets will be getting donuts.
I feel like gingerbread is the perfect segue into Christmas flavors and away from fall flavors, namely pumpkin. Its nice spicy taste makes me totally OK with giving up pumpkin for a few seasons. I’ve also decided I would take gingerbread donuts over gingerbread cookies any day. Not that I don’t like them, but I just have strong feelings against cookies that don’t contain chocolate. Ya feel me??
I’ll tell you, if there is a time when my will power is seriously tested, it’s avoiding the Dunkin’ Donuts drive thru during the holiday season. Uh hello, Snickerdoodle Croissant Donut and Caramel Cheesecake Donut. There is literally a BILLBOARD advertising these new holiday specials on my way to work every day. Pure sabotage.
The good news is you can make your own festive donuts at home that taste just as delicious, yet won’t break the calorie bank. One donut has less than 100 calories and only 2 grams of fat!! Have all your Christmas wishes come true yet?
To bump up the protein content, I added a scoop of Sunwarrior Classic Plus Vanilla Protein. I highly recommend this protein for recipes, as it mixes very well and has a very mild flavor. I found that the light vanilla flavor complemented the cinnamon and nutmeg deliciously.
Speaking of delicious – the cinnamon maple frosting is SO dreamy. I go nuts over any cream cheese frosting, but the fact that this one has ZERO grams of fat or sugar just makes me do the happy dance.
It’s the perfect recipe to make on Christmas morning. They can be your breakfast OR the dessert to your breakfast. You can even hold one in your mouth while you open your gifts (which hopefully includes a donut pan if you don’t already have one!).
Served with a big mug of coffee or cold glass of eggnog, you will be in a state of bliss! This is one of my favorite holiday recipes so far and i’m looking forward to many more batches.
Gingerbread Protein Donuts with Cinnamon Maple Frosting
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 scoop 25 gms vanilla protein powder (I used Sunwarrior Classic Vanilla Protein)
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 1/2 tsp molasses
- 1 tsp granulated sweetener of choice I used stevia
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- ***Cinnamon Maple Frosting***
- 2 tbsp fat free cream cheese brought to room temperature
- 1 tbsp unsweetend almond milk
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp granulated sweetener of choice
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 6-slot donut pan with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine all donut ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine. Spoon batter evenly into donut tins. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, whisk ingredients in a small bowl until well-combined. Dunk donuts into frosting, evenly coating the tops. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.