Eggplant and chickpea salad with farro and lemon-mint yogurt is a plant-powered main or side dish that is hearty, fiber-filled, and make-ahead friendly. A vegetarian main or side that is filling enough to satisfy and won’t leave you craving a snack an hour later? Yes please.
The farro is nutty and toothsome, the lemon and mint give it zest, the tomatoes refreshing crunch, and the yogurt a creamy tang. This salad has a strong Mediterranean influence between the heady spices, herb-specked yogurt, and hearty dose of legumes. Look for eggplants that are firm to the touch with glossy skin. I opted for widely-available globe eggplants, but this is also a great opportunity to use Japanese eggplants if they look more appealing at your local market.
One of my fail-proof meal prep routines is to cook a big batch of hearty grains like farro to use throughout the week in salads and grain bowls. They come in clutch for recipes like this that you can toss together on a whim and enjoy on repeat for desk lunches (and not get tired of).
I love the chewy nuttiness of farro, but if you’re looking for a gluten free alternative, I’d recommend swapping it out for either buckwheat, wild rice, or quinoa. Finish with a drizzle of your best olive oil and a flurry of fresh mint and you’ve got a nutrient-packed, flavor fiesta of a salad. Plus leftovers for days.
Winner, winner, chickpea dinner.
- 1 medium globe eggplant, diced
- 1 (15-oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling overtop
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup dry farro
- 3 cups lower sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. lemon zest, plus 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped mint, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. roughly chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place eggplant and chickpeas in a large bowl. Add 3 Tbsp. of the oil, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing one halfway through.
- In the meantime, bring farro and broth to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until al dente, about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain excess broth. Set aside to slightly cool.
- Place yogurt, lemon zest, 2 tsp. lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp. of the mint in a bowl; mix to combine. Spread yogurt mixture evenly on 4 plates.
- Place eggplant, chickpeas, and farro in a large bowl. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil, 2 tsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. mint, and tomatoes; toss to combine. Divide mixture evenly over yogurt. Scatter pistachios overtop. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired.