Irresistibly fudgy double chocolate almond butter brownies made with healthful ingredients and no added oil or flour. These guilt-free brownies are so decadently delicious and rich, you would never believe how healthy they are.
You guys. I’m losing my mind over these. In the best way possible.
My adoration for brownies runs deep and stems back to my childhood. My mom used to always have some kind of “homemade” (they were boxed mixes) baked goods ready for us when we got home from school every day. Cakes, cookies, brownies, you name it. I’m pretty sure it was 99% of the reason why my friends even came over.
Besides the occasional funfetti cake, my favorite treat was always Betty Crocker fudge brownies (’13×9 Family Size’ to be exact). They were consistently delicious every single time. Super moist and fudgy on the inside with a flakey top coating and perfectly chewy crusts. I don’t know what your secret is, Betty, but you’ve had a sister HOOKED. And I should probably thank you for keeping my friends around.Brownies are still my kryptonite and I find very few things more satisfying (in my foodie world) than a warm gooey brownie topped with ice-cream. It’s just pure bliss.
I always prefer my brownies to be fudgy instead of cakey. Usually it’s the healthy brownies that taste cakey because there’s not enough oil in them. But here we have the best of both worlds: fudgy chocolately goodness with NO added oil at all. Not a single drop. I think my girl Betty Crocker would even be impressed.Take my word; you cannot taste the beans at ALL in these brownies. If you could, I wouldn’t be sharing the recipe. If I taste a black bean brownie that had even a hint of beany flavor, I probably won’t even eat it, #browniepolice. But really, the people want the chocolate AND the health without compromising one for the other. amiright?
I’ve been eating the heck out of these all week and now we’re down to only ONE left. One last lone survivor. It will likely be
consumed inhaled by the conclusion of this blog post.
I prefer to leave these in the fridge and take one out about an hour before eating it. I like them chilled, but not super cold. They tend to soften up and get extra gooey once left out at room temperature for a bit, too. That is, if I can wait that long to eat it.I used Trader Joe’s creamy almond butter because I find it to be extra smooth and drippy. Some almond butters can be a little grainy in texture which i’m not a huge fan of. I doubt it would make a noticeable difference in this recipe since everything is blended, but I would definitely choose a drippy almond butter over a dry one if possible.
As far as the chocolate, I prefer dark cocoa powder (or cacao powder) because I find it tastes more rich, but if you prefer milk chocolate over dark, I would recommend using regular unsweetened cocoa powder. They’ll likely taste a little sweeter, too. The chocolate chips can be semi-sweet, milk chocolate or dark! Whatever your sweet tooth desires. Full of protein, fiber, anti-oxidants AND chocolately goodness, they are hands-down my new favorite thing.
Double Chocolate Chip Black Bean Almond Butter Brownies
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup natural creamy almond butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Truvia baking blend or granulated sweetener of choice
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips + 2 tbsp for sprinkling on top I used semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and coat with non-stick spray.
- Place black beans in food processor and process until pureed. Add eggs, process again until smooth. Add almond butter, Truvia, cocoa powder and vanilla extract and process again until well-combined. Add baking powder and baking soda; process once more until combined. Fold in 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Pour mix into prepared baking pan and sprinkle on remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 25-27 mins if using a 9x9 pan, or 30-32 mins if using an 8x8. Let cool for 30 minutes prior to slicing into and enjoying.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*To make dairy-free, use Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips