Decadently delicious whole wheat double chocolate almond butter zucchini bread made free of oil and dairy. This chocolatey, moist bread is high in protein and fiber, and can double as breakfast and dessert. What’s not to love?!
I mean, is there ever a bad time for a big ol’ loaf of chocolate bread? This bread combines two of my truest loves: nut butter and chocolate! I’ve never baked something that resembles chocolate cake so much in taste and texture, yet is completely OIL-FREE! What the what?!For an extra kick of fiber and nutrients, we added one whole shredded zucchini which you cannot taste at ALL once the bread is baked. Not only does the zucchini add a nice element of moisture, but I just swoon over those beautiful tiny green specs.
This bread has just the right amount of sweetness so that it fully satisfies a sweet tooth, yet won’t turn your taste buds off first thing in the morning. As much as I love muffins, breads and pastries of all sorts, if it’s on the same level of sweetness as a Hostess or Little Debbie cake, it kind of makes me cringe. And then beg for an omelet. Truth.I used a mixture of whole wheat flour and almond meal in this recipe because I absolutely love the texture they add to baked goods. The whole wheat flavor adds a lovely density to the bread, while the almond meal keeps it light and crumbly. They are a match made in heaven.
Though this bread really doesn’t need any toppings, if you want to add a little somethin’, somethin’, a light smear of almond butter, reduced-fat cream cheese or grass-fed butter is heavenly. OR you could dip it in egg wash and make the most insanneely delicious French toast of your dreams. If you try it, please be sure to tag #dishingouthealth on social media and tag me (@j_vespa) so I can eat vicariously through you!
I would do the same, but loafs like this usually don’t last more than a day in my house. I’m just swooning over every bite. Apologies in advance for your whole loaf consumption.
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (~1 medium-sized zucchini)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup Truvia brown sugar blend (sub for regular brown sugar, coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ⅓ cup creamy almond butter (salted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips +2 tbsp for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x4 inch or 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients: zucchini, eggs, Truvia brown sugar, apple sauce, almond butter and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine whole wheat flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in ¼ cup chocolate chips. Pour into greased loaf pan and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until the top is crusty and center is set. Let cool on wire rack for at least 30 minutes before removing from loaf pan and slicing into.