Blood oranges, heirloom tomatoes, fennel, avocado, goat cheese and greens tossed in a light, refreshing honey lemon dressing. This salad is bursting with freshness, loaded with nutrients and makes for a beautiful centerpiece on your table.
This is the epitome of Spring. Right here. And it may be the most nutritious salad I’ve ever eaten. If you’re planning any kind of al fresco dinner party, luncheon or picnic, please please add this dish to your menu!How was everyone’s Easter weekend?! Are you still digging your way out of a Cadbury coma? I managed to make it through the day only consuming HALF a Reese’s egg and a
small reasonably-sized handful of dark chocolate Cadbury eggs. It might be the first year ever that I didn’t consume even a smidgen of carrot cake. I actually kind of want to re-do now Easter because of it.
But I did consume multiple potions of this beautiful salad that made even the dyed Easter eggs look drab. I mean, I wish I were half as photogenic as those gorgeous blood oranges. Or really this entire platter.Let me also touch on this honey lemon dressing that I’ve now made two batches of in the past 48 hours. I would make a gallon of it and deliver it in little mason jars to all of my friends if I had an endless supply of lemons and a personal juicer. Case in point – it is DELICIOUS. Super light and refreshing with just the right dose of sweetness and tang. I actually used it as a sauce on chicken and hummus burgers tonight which just rocked my entire Monday.
You can make the salad in advance and dress it right before serving. Or let your guests dress it themselves based on their preference! If the dressing weren’t so dang tasty, I could definitely eat the salad undressed/naked (uhh..), but once you taste the two combined, I promise you will be hooked.
I purchased all of the ingredients for this salad at Trader Joe’s, which i’m crossing my fingers and toes you have within reasonable distance! I adore their mini heirloom tomatoes, citrus, herbs and the fact that they ALWAYS have ripe avocados on hand. TJ’s – you win MVP of Spring.
It’s the perfect segue into Spring. Plus, pretty food always wins, right? 😉
Citrus Salad with Fennel, Avocado and Honey Lemon Dressing
- 4 blood oranges peeled and thinly sliced or segmented
- 1/2 avocado peeled and sliced
- 2 cups mini heirloom or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 bulb of fennel sliced into thin pieces + 1-2 tbsp fronds (the feathery top)
- 1 cup fresh arugula or microgreens
- 1 ounce goat cheese optional
- **Honey Lemon Dressing**
- Juice of 3 lemons ~5-6 tbsp
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Arrange all salad ingredients on a platter, crumbling goat cheese evenly over fruits and vegetables.
- In a mason jar with a lid (or any type of sealable jar/container), combine salad dressing ingredients and shake to emulsify.
- Pour dressing over salad right before serving or reserve for later use.