WARNING: proceed with caution as these little guys are highly addictive! If you’re like me and appreciate a good moldy cheese, this recipe hopefully will rock your socks. Bite-sized turkey meatballs stuffed with creamy blue cheese. Great for entertaining guests, or just entertaining your own taste buds. I won’t judge 🙂
Blue cheeses are so full of flavor on their own, dishes don’t require much further embellishment. That’s why only a few added seasonings are called for in this recipe – 1. Garlic, because well, why not? and 2. Fennel. Fennel is a spice I don’t think to use often, however it has a bit of a licorice taste that adds a nice, mild flavor note to blue cheese dishes.
If you wish to serve these with a sauce, perhaps some kind of red wine reduction or Marsala sauce would pair nicely. However they are so flavorful on their own, I think they are best served plain Jane.
Two things I do recommend: 1. Use a good quality blue cheese (I’m partial to Boar’s Head), and 2. Don’t go too lean on the turkey or you’ll sacrifice flavor and they could end up too dry. I recommend using 94% lean ground turkey.
Blue Cheese Stuffed Mini Turkey Meatballs
Makes ~24 mini meatballs; 6 servings of 4 meatballs
- 1 lb package of 94% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs – could swap for almond meal to make gluten-free
- 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped – could swap for 1 tsp garlic powder (though I recommend the real stuff!)
- 2 tsp coarsely chopped fennel seed (optional)
- 1/4 cup good quality blue cheese crumbles (~1/2 tsp per meatball)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine all ingredients (except blue cheese) in a large bowl and mix until well combined
- Spoon out ~1 tbsp of meat mixture and roll into a ball in your hand. With your pointer finger, create indentation large enough to fit 1 tsp of cheese
- Gather~1/2 tsp of blue cheese and stuff it inside indentation (as shown below)
- Seal ’em up by enclosing the surrounding meat around the cheese and roll again in your hand
- Lightly spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and align meatballs ~1 inch apart
- Pop them in the oven for ~20 mins –> Remove and let sit for ~5 mins (the cheese will be hot!) –> dive in! Face first, of course 😉
Nutrition facts per serving (~4 mini meatballs)
Calories: 155; Total Fat: 6 gm; Saturated Fat: 1.5 gm; Total Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium: 168 mg; Carbohydrates: 4 gm; Sugar: 1.5 gm; Protein 19.5 gm