Nutritious granola with warm notes of roasted apple, cinnamon, nutmeg and toasted oats. Every comforting bite offers the perfect balance of spice and sweetness with a satisfying crunch. A delicious topping for smoothies, yogurt or to eat by the handful!
I thought i’d take a break from pumpkin and share another recipe from the runner-up fall produce item, APPLES 🙂 So tell me, have you guys had a glass of apple cider yet this fall? Or an apple cider DONUT?? I keep seeing these float around the blogosphere and I have yet to get my paws on one. If anyone in the Tampa area knows of a place that sells them, please let a fellow
donut apple lover know!
But back to the slightly healthier business at hand. You guys. I have discovered a way for your entire home to smell like freshly baked apple pie/a fall harvest candle/Thanksgiving all in one and that is to bake this granola. I live in an apartment with stupid high ceilings which makes it almost impossible for candle scents to carry room-to-room. Perhaps if I started buying Yankee candles instead of Target ones, I’d have better success with this, but I still prefer the baking alternative.
The aromas are just to die for. And just when you think you can’t beat the smell, you take a bite and the rest is history.
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day, which is no secret if you follow me on Instagram. But I especially love sharing breakfast recipes and ideas with you guys because it tends to be the one meal that is either skimped or completely skipped.
This granola is perfect to throw in a Ziploc bag and eat on the go, or to pour on top of your yogurt when you get to school or work. Especially drizzled with a little extra honey. Ohhh yes.
It’s packed with fiber and heart-healthy fats that will keep you full and satisfied well into your morning routine.
One of the many things I love about this granola is the crunchiness of the toasted oats and walnuts combined with the chewiness of the apples and golden raisins. If you’re a texture freak like me, you will be heaven. I can’t get enough.
In fact, my weekend plans include baking numerous batches of this to fill up in Mason jars only to be tied with a festive fall ribbon layered with burlap (thanks, Pinterest). Spoiler alert to my friends and family.
- 2.5 cups old fashioned oats - Use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free rolled oats for GF
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 medium-sized apple (skin-on), finely diced
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, walnuts, apple pie spice and salt. Toss to combine
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, honey, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Pour over dry ingredients and mix until everything is moistened. Fold in apples.
- Spread mixture out evenly onto baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to prevent burning.
- Allow granola to cool for 15-20 minutes (this allows it to get crunchy) before pouring it into a large bowl. Add raisins and toss to combine.
- Cover and store at room temperature for up to 10 days.