Creamy white beans and cheddar join forces in this velvety queso dip with diced tomatoes, jalapeños and spices. Loaded with fiber and powered by plant-based protein, this lightened up appetizer is a total flavor fiesta. A hearty serving of black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day is a Southern tradition said to bring good luck and prosperity for the year ahead. But, you know what makes every tradition more enjoyable? Cheese. Creamy, melted cheese.
So, my friends, may this steaming skillet of heavenly queso bring you all the good luck, good fortune and good vibes this world has to offer. Smeared on a crunchy tortilla chip, of course.This is the perfect appetizer to bridge the gap between Christmas and New Years. It tastes deliciously indulgent, yet is lightened up enough to not leave you feeling weighed down.
And honestly, anything that isn’t laden with sugar is sounding mighty appealing to me right now. I indulged in enough Christmas cookies the past week to last me till next December. I swear the one I just ate 5 minutes ago is the LAST one. Done.
Now will someone please take the rest of these damn chocolate peanut butter balls off my hands?To successfully lighten up this queso, I mixed a secret ingredient in with the cheese…
Wait for it…
PUREED WHITE BEANS!
I know the header already gave it away, but I live for a little suspense.
The white beans add velvety creaminess and plant-powered protein without altering the taste of the cheese. Honestly, the blind eye would never guess this queso was made with equal parts cheese and beans.
In fact, my whole family enjoyed every ounce of it without having any inclination it was “lightened up”. Score!This appetizer is ready in only 20 minutes and requires very little prep work. Enjoy it with chips, crackers, or raw veggies as you take down your Christmas tree or anxiously await the descend of the ball in Times Square with a sparkler in hand.
Or a glass of champagne. Let’s play it safe here. Team #cheeseandchamps.
Cheers to ringing in a tasty 2017!
20 Minute Black-Eyed Pea Queso
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. diced jalapeño seeded (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes with green chiles I used Ro*Tel
- 1 cup canned white beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 1/4 cup freshly grated white cheddar cheese 4-5 ounces
- 1 15-oz can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional garnish: cilantro sliced jalapeño
- Place white beans and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, jalapeño, salt, pepper, and chili powder; cook 1 minute, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and pureed white beans; cook 1 minute, stirring to combine. Add cheese and remaining 1/4 cup milk, and cook, stirring often, until cheese melts, 2-3 minutes. Stir in black-eyed peas and lime juice. Garnish, if desired. Serve hot with chips, crackers, or veggies.