Chicken burgers made with shredded zucchini, fresh corn and spices topped with grilled tomatoes, arugula and an extra tasty roasted red pepper hummus. These should definitely make an appearance on your July 4th grilling menu!
This summer is blowing by so quickly and I can’t even believe the year is more than HALF way over! You guys. They are already selling PUMPKIN SPICE coffee creamer in the grocery store. What is life?!
The good thing is we still have at least 4 more months of outdoor grilling and dining al fresco. Well, technically since I live in Florida we have until December. Trust me, it’s not as glorious as it may sound.
But back to this hand-held beauty. I am always looking for new ways to jazz up chicken burgers because as we all know, chicken alone does not pack much flavor. It’s fun to get creative and add in different veggies, herbs and spices galore to make each chicken recipe a fun, new experience.
This is also one of the EASIEST way to get kids to eat extra veggies. Zucchini is my favorite vegetable to grate and secretly add in food you wouldn’t typically expect it in. Breakfast items such as muffins and bread, as well as appetizers such as mini meatballs. Zucchini is quite flavorless on its own, but it soaks up other flavors like a sponge. It also adds a nice little bulk to the meat patties while adding extra nutrients and fiber.
Zucchini – you da real MVP.
Let’s switch gears and also talk about this hummus. You are only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes away from your new favorite spread/dip/bowl of faceplant-worthy goodness. The one star of this recipe is, without a doubt, the roasted garlic. Roasting garlic has become one of my favorite food-prep necessities to complete before the start of the week.
Whole heads of garlic are roasted with olive oil until each individual clove is golden and buttery with an aromatic, slightly sweet flavor that is out of this world. Roasting garlic takes away their crunch and astringency and leaves you with rich, caramelized cloves that are perfect to spread on toasted baguettes or use in dips, sauces or spreads. Heeaavven.
Zucchini and Corn Chicken Burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (amounts to 1 medium-sized zucchini)
- 1/3 cup corn (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 5 buns
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 1/2 jar of marinated roasted red peppers (I use Mt. Olive)
- 1 can Garbanzos/chick peas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of roasted garlic
- Cut off both ends of zucchini. Set a stand-up box grater on a plate or cutting board on the counter. Shred the zucchini by continuously running it over the medium-sized holes of the grater. Gather the shreds in a clean kitchen towel or several layers of paper towels and squeeze to press out as much moister from the zucchini as possible.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded zucchini, ground chicken, egg, corn, mustard, bread crumbs and spices. Mix mixture until well-combined. Form into 5 patties.
- If unable to grill, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add burgers and cook for 5-6 minutes per side, until patty is cooked all the way through.
- While the burgers cook, prepare hummus by chucking all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend for ~2-3 minutes, until all ingredients become pureed in consistency.
- Top cooked burgers with hummus, grilled (or sautéed) tomatoes and arugula or toppings of choice!
**How to roast garlic: Slice off the top of each bulb of garlic to expose the tops of the cloves inside. Drizzle the exposed cloves with olive oil and wrap in foil. Roast at 400 degrees for one hour.
Nutrition Facts per burger patty (not including bun or toppings)
Calories: 214; Total Fat: 10.5 gm; Saturated Fat: 2 gm; Cholesterol: 128 mg; Sodium: 348 mg; Carbohydrates: 8 gm; Fiber: 1 gm; Sugar: 1 gm; Protein: 26 gm