Whole wheat blueberry bread with so many healthy alternative baking ingredients, you’ll question how it can possibly taste good. Trust me, I would not post anything on here that I wouldn’t go back for seconds for.
This bread is high in fiber and protein, yet low in fat and sugar. Enjoy it with a smear of almond butter and some sliced bananas for a sweet treat, or a little melted butter or margarine as a savory breakfast.
It can be pretty tricky to create a healthy baked good with desirable taste and consistency. Some of my attempts at healthified cookies and muffins have gone right from the oven to the trash can. Thank God for Betty Crocker who never fails to come to the rescue when my baking skills are feeling sub-par.
More reason why I was super ecstatic this bread came out so tasty. It has that nice earthy, whole-grain density while still being super moist.
I sliced this loaf into 12 pieces and individually wrapped half of them to freeze. Now on the mornings I’m crunched for time I can remove one slice from the freezer, throw it in the toaster oven for a few minutes and relive that fresh-out-of-the-oven bread experience all over again.
Let me tell you what I also did with this bread besides just eat it by the slice.
1. I dipped it in egg whites, cinnamon and vanilla extract and made blueberry French toast.
2. I crumbled up a slice and mixed it a hot bowl of vanilla oats.
3. I grilled a piece of sweet apple chicken sausage and sandwiched it between two slices with a drizzle of maple syrup. A little Blueberry McGriddle action, anyone??
Endless options, my friends! Incorporate a slice of this delicious, nutritious bread into any of your meals without worrying about tacking on extra sweets and empty calories. So delicious!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Flax Bread
Makes 1 loaf / 12 slices
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, Splenda, flaxseeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine yogurt, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into a large loaf pan (9×5) sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool ~ 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts per serving (1 slice)
Calories: 160; Total Fat: 2 gm; Saturated Fat: <.5 gm; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 168 mg; Carbohydrates: 27 gm; Fiber: 3.5 gm; Sugar: 11 gm; Protein: 6 gm