Watermelon, tomatoes, basil, and feta tossed in a light coriander-champagne dressing creates the ultimate summer salad. Enjoy it as an appetizer, side dish, or entree at your next summer cookout or potluck.This beautiful union of summer produce is at once sweet, tart, and savory—the kind of salad that’s as welcome at the lunch table as it is at a cookout.
Watermelon and tomatoes are a power duo in salads; here tomatoes play an acidic counter to sweet watermelon. And the best part? Almost every ingredient can be purchased at your local farmers market.Truth be told, I was actually totally over the idea of feta in watermelon salads. I’ve been enjoying the sharp bite of pecorino Romano with watermelon exponentially more this summer. That is, however, until my boss introduced me to valbreso feta.
Valbreso is a French-style feta made 100% from sheep’s milk with an extremely creamy texture and delicate balance of rich tanginess. The price point is a bit high, but a little goes a long way (and it’s 100% worth it).Use any color of cherry or sungold tomatoes that you have access to. Watermelon and tomatoes’ lycopene content catapults them to the next nutritional level. Studies show lycopene has anti-inflammatory properties—which is why these two summer fruits can help decrease your risk of heart disease and cancer. Watermelon also is an excellent source of vitamin C and a very good source of vitamin A, with more beta-carotene than berries.
Locally grown summer fruits are bursting with flavor and nutrition, which is why this is an excellent time to front-load your system with salads that offer a one-two punch of taste and nutrients.
Now let’s eat some SALAD!
- 1½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. champagne vinegar (sub with white balsamic vinegar)
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups halved cherry or sungold tomatoes
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, cut into triangles
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup feta cheese (valbreso feta is my preference)
- Place oil, vinegar, honey, shallot, coriander, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Mix to combine.
- Add tomatoes, watermelon, basil, and feta; toss to combine. Serve immediately.