Occasionally I make a meal that I can’t stop thinking about – a meal that I want to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A meal that I will stand at the fridge and dig my spoon into at 5AM before hitting the gym. A habit I really need to kick..
It is just THAT delicious. It tasted great cold, reheated and every which way around. It kind of reminded me of a lightened-up Pad Thai – my all time favorite Thai dish.
This dish features a flavor-packed cast, including aromatic ginger, garlic, spicy Sriracha, savory sesame and creamy peanut butter. This dish really proved my theory to be true that everything tastes better with peanut butter. Everything.
This is definitely the type of dish that gets better and better as it sits. The ease and simplicity of making it is also extra enticing. It’s also the perfect all-in-one meal you can prepare at the start of the week and pack up for weekday lunches. Your coworkers may just start drooling over the smell and assume you brought in Thai takeout from the night before
This dish can easily be made meatless by subbing the chicken for 2 scrambled eggs or tofu. I equally adore both ways. If you’re not into quinoa, brown rice or rice noodles would be an excellent swap. This recipe really allows you to get creative. Add in any veggies you like – bean sprouts, cabbage, corn, broccoli, turnips, etc.
Whichever spin you decide to take, you have to try this recipe. It jumped up to the top of my all-time favorite list with just one bite. Doooooo it!
Thai Peanut Chicken Quinoa
Makes 5 1/2 cups; Serving size: 1 cup
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or cutlets, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tbsp sesame oil for cooking
- 1 + 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (swap for Bragg’s Liquid Aminos for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup all natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- Combine quinoa, 1 cup of low sodium broth and 1 cup of water in a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- When the water reaches a boil, cover the pot, reduce heat to medium/low, and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed. This will take 12-15 minutes. You will notice that the quinoa becomes sort of translucent and you can “fluff” it with a fork.
- In the meantime, heat sesame oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add carrots and onion and saute for ~5 minutes, until softened.
- Add chicken, green onion and garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 3/4 cup chicken broth, ground ginger, Sriracha, soy sauce and peanut butter. Simmer over medium heat for ~5-7 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Add chopped basil and quinoa. Stir to combine. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts per serving (1 cup prepared)
Calories: 380; Total Fat: 14.5 gm; Saturated Fat: 2.3 gm; Cholesterol: 51 mg; Sodium: 510 mg; Carbohydrates: 33 gm; Fiber: 5 gm; Sugar: 5 gm; Protein: 30 gm