Spring greens topped with sliced strawberries and fresh basil tossed in a rich toasted walnut balsamic dressing. If you’ve never tried strawberries and basil together, they are a match made in heaven. To the point that I may start using them in place of tomatoes in Caprese salad 😉
All aboard the strawberry Caprese train. It’s going to be the new thing.
This salad is perfect for the spring and summer months. It’s light, refreshing and ideal for a cook out or fancy dinner in. I like serving this salad as a starter or side, however if you’d like to add a little protein and serve it as the main course, thinly sliced steak or grilled chicken would be excellent toppers.
I am one of those add-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-salad kind of people. I will literally browse through my refrigerator and add unthinkable things to salads. To a point where it shouldn’t even be called a salad any longer. Just a bowl-o-stuff.
But out of all the bizarre things I add to salads, fruit is almost always a must. I will grill just about any fruit, add cheese and nuts and it always comes out delicious. You just cannot go wrong with that combo.
A good quality balsamic is a must. Quality truly makes all the difference in a balsamic vinegar. A cheap balsamic will taste like straight vinegar, however a quality balsamic will be sweet, silky and pack the perfect punch of pungency (whew, what a mouthful).
Top this salad with mozzarella, gouda, goat cheese or whatever your cheesy preference is. Bon appetit!
Strawberry Basil Salad with Toasted Walnut Dressing
Makes four large salads prepared. Serving size: 1 salad (ingredients divided)
- 4 ounces (1 bag) of spring mix
- 1/2 cup halved walnuts
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (~6-8 whole, depending on size)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Grated cheese for topping
- Heat coconut oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast for ~5 minutes, stirring frequently. They easily burn!
- Once walnuts are toasted, remove from heat and add balsamic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Let cool.
- In the meantime, arrange greens on a plate, add sliced strawberries and fresh basil. Spoon walnut dressing over greens and toss. Top with cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition facts per serving (1 salad with ingredients divided)
Calories: 140; Total Fat: 11.5 gm; Saturated Fat: 3.5 gm; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 120 mg; Carbohydrates: 7 gm; Fiber: 1.5 gm; Sugar: 3 gm; Protein: 3 gm