Broccoli salad tossed in a creamy, miso-infused dressing with crunchy chow mein noodles, golden raisins, cabbage and sesame. This simple salad has incredible depth of flavor and will ignite every one of your taste buds!Can you believe this is the first broccoli salad I’ve ever posted? Considering I LOVE broccoli salad and it’s the always the first thing I gravitate towards at a cookout (after I get a cocktail, of course), this flabbergasts me.
This is such a fun twist on classic broccoli salad (if such thing even exists anymore). It has everything from crunchy, chewy, savory and sweet all tossed in a creamy, flavor-bomb miso dressing. I’ve shared my love for miso before, and I’m always looking for new recipes to highlight it.If you’re new to miso, this fermented soybean paste adds a unique burst of umami flavor to everything from soups, meat, fish or vegetables. There are different styles of miso, ranging from light and mild to dark and strong. This recipe uses the mildest and sweetest variety, shiro miso, which is white to pale yellow in color and made from rice and soybeans.
Shiro miso pairs particularly well with dressings and adds worlds of savory depth to your food while invigorating your palette. For this dressing, we mixed shiro miso with protein-rich Greek yogurt, a touch of mayo, rice wine vinegar, ginger and a dash of sugar to enhance the piquancy and capture the essence of Asian flavor. Also tied into this beautiful bowl of bliss:
- Chow mein noodles for extra crunch! It’s no surprise that Adam was a fan of this purchase because he proceeded to add the leftover chow mein noodles to his pumpkin turkey chili last night… I didn’t even ask.
- Golden raisins for a hint of sweetness and because they’re an absolute MUST for me in any broccoli salad
- Purple cabbage for a pop of color and extra dose of antioxidants
- Sesame seeds because they’re like the parmesan cheese of Asian-inspired dishes. Just a light sprinkle adds the perfect finishing touch!
Broccoli salads seriously take the cake in terms of ease of preparation. Just toss everything together, let the flavors marry and enjoy a nutrient-packed side dish that pairs well with just about anything.This salad is great to pack up for work or school lunches, serve at a cook out or potluck, or enjoy for dinner with your protein of choice.
For less calories and more protein than your standard broccoli salad, this flavor-forward rendition will breathe new life into your salad game!
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 2 tbsp shiro miso (white miso)
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil-based mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt (Greek or regular)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sugar
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp golden raisins
- ½ cup shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cup chow mein noodles
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine miso, mayo, yogurt, ginger, sugar, vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cabbage and raisins. Pour miso sauce over salad contents and toss to evenly distribute. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Right before serving, mix in chow mein noodles and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve!
Join the Conversation:
Have you ever cooked with miso?
What is your favorite way to prepare broccoli salad?