Lemony caramelized salmon atop a zippy, veggie-studded bulgur salad brimming with fiber-rich whole grains and protein. This light, yet hearty dish is easy, filling and delectably delicious.Happy Thursday/Friday Eve, friends! Can we talk about the fact that we’re already in November (how!?) and Thanksgiving is basically right around the corner. We’re in full-blown holiday mode at work right now and in the midst of everything-pumpkin-turkey-gingerbread-casserole-etc., I needed a light and tasty salmon bowl in my life.
And now I need it on, like, a weekly basis because it’s THAT dang good.Anyone else get exuberantly excited about bowl-style meals? They make up about 90% of my diet. The combination of veggies, grains and fish (or tofu) topped with an amped up dollop of Greek yogurt or hummus just always speaks to me.
If you’re not friendly with bulgur (yet!), it’s essentially wheat that has been parboiled, dried, and cracked into nibbly bits. It cooks fast and has a delectably chewy texture. I love adding it to soups, salads and bowls to boost my fiber and weekly whole-grain quotient.
Bulgur is also brimming with nutrition. One cup has only 150 calories, a hearty 8 grams of fiber, and nearly 6 grams of plant-powered protein.But guys, this SALMON. Oh em gee, this salmon. Everything from the bold flavors to the sweet caramelized crust and perfectly flaky insides has me swooning. It only requires a quick 30 minute marinade which can easily be carried out while you’re prepping the bulgur. I cooked it on a grill-pan, but if you already have the outdoor grill cranked up, this dish easily transitions to an outdoor meal.
It’s an absolute MUST.Your taste buds totally deserve this hearty, nutritious meal. Especially before everything-pumpkin-turkey-gingerbread-casserole-etc. takes over.
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
- 1 lb salmon, sliced into 4 fillets
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Optional topping: 2% fat plain Greek yogurt, arugula, lemon wedges
- In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, oil, balsamic, garlic, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir with a whisk. Add salmon fillets and marinate for 30 minutes, turning occasionally.
- In the meantime, in a small saucepan, combine bulgur and broth. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain off excess liquid.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and bell pepper; cook 5-6 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic and a dash of salt and pepper; cook 1 more minute. Stir in parsley and feta; remove from heat.
- While the vegetables cook, heat a grill-pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon, skin down; cook 4-5 minutes and top with residual marinade from the bowl. Flip; cook 2-3 more minutes, or until medium-rare.
- To serve, spoon bulgur mixture into a bowl or plate. Top with 1 salmon fillet and optional add-ins (arugula, fresh parsley, lemon, etc.)