Whole wheat donuts with a warm essence of sesame are coated with a sweet tahini glaze that bursts with bright lemon flavor. A protein and fiber-rich breakfast that will energize your taste buds and satisfy your cravings. Life is always better with donuts. Can we all agree? They are my WEAKNESS (along with most other desserts). Especially a good old fashioned or glazed cake donut. I don’t need potato chips or gummy worms or anything crazy on it; just a light, moist donut with a touch of sweetness and a side of espresso.
It’s funny because every time Adam and I go to a new city, we always check to see if they have any notable donut shops. If so, you better believe we are picking up at least half a dozen to sample. We’ll take one or two bites of each and then finish off whichever one was our favorite. Luckily, we rarely choose the same one because he prefers yeast and I prefer cake. Otherwise, things could get heated.Speaking of travel, we are heading to Birmingham next week and I would LOVE recommendations on restaurants, donut shops, breweries or anything else the city has to offer. If you’ve been, be sure to drop a line below! 😉
Back to these little rounds of joy.
Tahini is a staple ingredient in my kitchen. Not only is this creamy sesame paste a source of some seriously good nutrition, but it’s also extremely versatile. Since tahini has emulsifying properties, it works well in salad dressings, dips and sauces. You can also showcase its earthy, nutty flavor by incorporating it in baked goods such as breads, muffins, cookies and donuts.These donuts are delightfully light and moist with a hint of warm, nutty spice. The lemon tahini glaze adds a beautiful layer of sweetness with a refreshing citrus twist. For the finishing touch, a sprinkle of chopped pistachios adds the perfect crunch.
They’re also super simple to make as long as you have a donut pan.
And then you can make these or these after! Can we just have a healthy donut party??If you do make these delicious rounds of bliss, be sure to snap a picture and tag #dishingouthealth so I can see your beautiful creations!
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup 0% fat plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar - sub for granulated sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp crushed pistachios
- **Lemon Tahini Glaze**
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice + 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 6-slot donut pan with non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk egg, yogurt, milk, coconut sugar, vanilla, tahini and lemon juice until well combined. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until combined. Fill in donut slots evenly with dough. Bake for 11-13 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- While the donuts cool, prepare the glaze by combining powder sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and milk in a bowl and mixing until smooth and creamy. Pour glaze into either a wide-rimmed bowl or a plate.
- After the donuts have cooled completely, dip each one in the glaze and transfer back to wire rack. Use a spoon to drizzle any remaining glaze over donuts. Top with crushed pistachios and serve!
Join the Conversation:
What’s your favorite thing to seek out in a new city when you travel?
What would your DREAM donut be?