These stacks of whole-grain, gluten free chocolate pancakes are whipped up in a cinch thanks to the blender. Serve with whipped Greek yogurt, diced strawberries, and toasted walnuts for a nutritious and decadently delicious breakfast.Is there any time of day when a pancake isn’t welcome at the table?
Not in my house. Though considering I (unapologetically) consumed that^ pictured stack of chocolately bliss for breakfast Sunday and dinner Monday, I may be a bit biased.These pancakes are the perfect disguise for a breakfast with some nutritional heft thanks to the rolled oats, which also add hearty, nutty flavor and a bounty of fiber. Greek yogurt and walnuts also add extra staying power to keep you full and energized to power through your morning routine.
And just to forewarn you, the batter will look and taste exactly like brownie batter, but TRY to save it for the pan and not your pie-hole (easier said than done, trust me).This two-serving recipe is perfect to make for you and your honey on Valentines Day. Or, if you’re like me and Valentine-less this year, you can take the edge off by enjoying the whole stack yourself. And maybe even adding some dark chocolate chips for good measure.
If that’s not showing true love to yourself, I’m out of ideas.
These pancakes also freeze wonderfully, so feel free to make a big batch over the weekend to freeze, reheat and enjoy throughout the week. Simple enough for weekday mornings yet tremendously crowd-pleasing for weekend entertaining. This is the day that chocolate becomes healthy enough for breakfast.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup unsweetened nut milk
- ⅓ cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sweetener of choice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- Toppings: ½ cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt mixed with ¼ tsp. vanilla extract and ½ tsp. granulated sweetener of choice
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- 2 Tbsp. toasted chopped walnuts
- Place oats in a high-power blender or food processor and process until ground. Add milk and let sit for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Add Greek yogurt, cocoa powder, egg, oil, granulated sweetener, and salt. Blend on high for 20-30 seconds, until creamy. Add baking powder; blend for 10 more seconds.
- Using a ¼ cup measure, spoon batter onto a greased skillet over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles appear on surface of batter. Flip, and cook 1-2 more minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For whipped Greek yogurt topping, mix ½ cup Greek yogurt with ¼ tsp. vanilla extract and ½ tsp granulated sweetener of choice. Spoon on top of pancakes and top with diced strawberries and toasted walnuts, if desired.
- To freeze any leftovers, place wax paper between pancakes, and wrap them tightly in foil.