DreamFields elbow macaroni mixed with corn, red bell pepper, onion and arugula tossed in a creamy cilantro yogurt sauce. Pairs perfectly with any grilled meats or burgers, though is just as good if eaten alone.
I love sneaking in Greek yogurt to replace mayo in traditional creamy salads. It amps up the protein, reduces the overall fat content and adds such a subtle taste, you won’t miss the mayo a bit.
I’ve found it is best to make this salad right before serving, as macaroni salads made with mayo/yogurt tend to dry out if they sit too long, therefore requiring additional sauce. This salad can be served chilled or at room temperature. I thoroughly enjoyed it both ways 🙂
If you’re not a fan of the grainy (or what I like to call “earthy”) taste of whole-wheat pasta, DreamFields is an excellent alternative. It has 5 grams of dietary fiber per serving – 2.5x more than traditional pasta. It also contains a natural plant fiber called inulin that helps support optimal digestion. It’s also a little higher in protein than traditional pasta. Between the protein and fiber content, this pasta will have less impact on your blood sugar and help you stay full longer. Double win!
DreamFields is sold in most grocery stores in the pasta section. If you are looking for a gluten-free alternative, brown rice pasta is also good. I’ve tried a few brands and they all taste pretty similar.
The yogurt dressing is subtly sweet and tangy, and pairs so nicely with all of the other flavors, making the entire salad light and refreshing. Not to mention how vibrant and summery it looks. With theses cold temperatures outside, I found it mighty satisfying to revive the summer aura in my kitchen.
Bring this to your next BBQ, picnic or tailgating event for a nutritious crowd-pleaser.
Creamy Macaroni Salad with Corn & Arugula
Makes 5 cups prepared; Serving size: 1 cup
- 1.5 cups DreamFields elbow pasta
- 1.5 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil for sautéing
- 1/4 cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 2 handfuls of baby arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 4 cups of generously salted water to a boil. Add 1.5 cups of DreamFields elbows into water and return to boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add red bell pepper and red onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes over medium heat, until softened. Add 1.5 cups thawed corn, turn off heat and remove pan from burner.
- In a small bowl, whisk Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper until well combined.
- In a large bowl, add cooled pasta, veggies and yogurt sauce and toss until well-combined. Stir in arugula right before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving (1 cup)
Calories: 200; Total Fat: 4 gm; Saturated Fat: <.5 gm; Cholesterol: 2.2 mg; Sodium: 150 mg; Carbohydrates: 38 gm; Fiber: 4.5 gm; Sugar: 4 gm; Protein: 8 gm