Sliced apples and fresh cranberries baked in a sweet, cinnamon spice mixture topped with crumbly goodness, anyone? Most crumble recipes that I have come across call for a whole stick of butter.. But what kind of dietitian would I be to dish out a recipe like that?
While this was baking (which seemed like the longest 45 minutes of my life) I was thinking how glorious a candle would be that replicated this scent exactly. So warm and welcoming… and appetite provoking.
I love how simple this dessert (or breakfast?) is to throw together. As an added bonus, you can prepare everything ahead of time and just stick it in the oven an hour before serving. This may become one of my new favorite fall-weather recipes to make. So let’s get to business!
First, you’ll need to peel, core and thinly slice 4 apples. If you have an apple peeler/corer, it will make your life a whole lot easier than mine was. Throw your apple slices in a big bowl and add cranberries, freshly squeezed lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using your hands, mix ingredients until all sugar and spices are well incorporated into fruit. Transfer mixture to a glass or ceramic baking dish.
In a separate bowl, combine your topping ingredients – oats, almond flour, flax seed, chopped pecans, vanilla & almond extract, coconut oil and honey. Mix with a fork (or your fingertips) until crumbly and spread evenly over fruit mixture.
Pop in the oven and bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. It only takes about 10 minutes for the lovely aroma to infiltrate your kitchen. Mmmmm
…and voila! You’ve got yourself a tasty, healthy treat. Best served warm with a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream or yogurt. Also excellent warmed up the next morning for breakfast.
Happy fall feasting, my friends!
Cran-Apple Cinnamon Crumble
Makes ~6-7 1/2 cup servings
Ingredients – Filling
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Juice from 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats – Use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats if making gluten-free
- 1/2 cup almond meal/flour
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract + 1/2 tsp almond extract (could substitute almond extract for one whole tsp of vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (could substitute for melted margarine or butter)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Peel, core and thinly slice 4 apples
- Combine apple slices in a big bowl with cranberries, freshly squeezed lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Using your hands, mix ingredients until all sugar and spices are well incorporated into fruit
- Transfer fruit mixture into a glass or ceramic baking dish
- In a separate bowl, combine topping mixture and mix with your fingertips so that it loosely forms crumbs. Pour topping mixture over fruit in baking dish
- Bake uncovered for 45 mins
- Remove from oven, let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving (~1/2 cup)
Calories: 170; Total Fat: 7.5 gms; Saturated Fat: 2 gms; Cholesterol: 0 mgs; Sodium: 5 mgs; Carbohydrates: 25 gms; Sugar: 16 gms; Protein: 3 gms