Moist whole-grain muffins with the comforting taste of banana bread, yet a fraction of the calories and fat. Every bite is bursting with chocolate chips and the sweet taste of ripe bananas. Enjoy these for breakfast with a hot mug of coffee or a glass of milk, or toss them in a Ziploc bag and enjoy as a sweet treat on-the-go.
I just think homemade muffins are the perfect compliment to chilly mornings. Though truth be told, I’ll find any excuse to bake some homemade goodies on the weekends and have the smell linger in my kitchen for the rest of the day ;).
Not only are these little guys whole-grain and low in fat, they are also dairy-free (if made with Enjoy Life chocolate chips) for those with lactose intolerance. If you prefer to bake these into chocolate chip banana bread, the bake time will be about 50 minutes in a loaf pan.
Muffins can be very tricky to prepare, as you have to be careful not to over mix the batter. The batter should only be mixed until it is just combined. Otherwise, the muffins will have peaked tops, as opposed to slightly rounded, bumpy tops.
It can also be tricky to successfully bake anything low fat. I’ve baked my fair share of *healthified* muffins that are either too “spongey”, too dense, or just bland. However I am happy to say these little bundles of joy are moist on the inside with a slightly crunchier top and awesome flavor all-around.
I found these were especially satisfying with a smear of peanut butter…. but then again, what isn’t better with a little peanut butter?
Store these little guys in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and they stay moist for days! Best if warmed up for ~10 seconds before serving. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
Makes one dozen muffins
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flax seed (optional)
- 1 egg + 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (use Enjoy Life for dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with liners and lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mash two bananas until pureed consistency. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, oats, flax, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt with a wire whisk; set aside.
- In a large bowl mix eggs, oil, honey (or maple syrup) and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed. Add mashed banana and beat at medium speed again until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture, then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter evenly into 12 muffin tins. Bake in the center rack for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition facts per serving (1 muffin)
Calories: 170; Total Fat: 5 gms; Saturated Fat: 2 gms; Cholesterol: 15 mg; Sodium: 250 mg; Carbohydrates: 27.5 gms; Fiber: 6 gm; Sugar: 14 gms; Protein: 4.5 gms