If you thought your smoothies were creamy before, just wait until you add a generous portion of avocado to the mix – SUPREME creaminess! I’m talking borderline frosty-that-you-order-from-Wendy’s-kind-of-creamy.
Yes, that dreamy.
Avocados are brimming with fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin K , healthy fats and phytonutrients. They are referred to as nutritional power houses and can used as a healthy substitute for meat in vegetarian dishes. To reduce oxidation (browning) of an already-sliced avocado, sprinkle lemon juice on the exposed flesh and refrigerate in either a Tupperware container or plastic bag.
Don’t even get me started on those pieces of heaven.
I enjoyed this smoothie for breakfast, however I could easily enjoy it just as much for dessert. If going the dessert route, I’d probably add a tad more Greek yogurt to the mix (to make it even thicker) and serve it in a bowl topped with
a few a handful of dark chocolate chips.
Move over Wendy’s, there’s a new sheriff in town 😉
Chocolate Avocado Protein Smoothie
Serves one 12-16 ounce smoothie
- 1/2 ripe avocado (I used Hass)
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Perfect Fit)
- 3 tbsp 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Stevia – adjust for desired sweetness
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 and 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup ice
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Garnish with a pinch of cinnamon and slice of avocado. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts per smoothie (may vary slightly depending on your brand of protein powder)
Calories 310; Total Fat: 16 gm; Saturated Fat: 1.9 gm; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 250 mg; Carbohydrates: 15.5 gm; Fiber: 8 gm; Sugar: 4 gm; Protein: 27 gm