Ground turkey, quinoa, black beans and chipotle peppers simmered in a mix of herbs, spices and lime juice finished off with a layer of melted cheese. The most delicious deconstructed taco that is ready in under 30 minutes!
This is how we do Monday nights! Or taco Tuesdays. Or Friday nights if you’re an 80 year old soul like myself that finds utter enjoyment in cuddling with my dog while watching Netflix. One skillet meals are truthfully just the cherry on top of any night. And they really just make you feel like you’re winning at life.
This meal is packed to the rafters with protein and fiber and is relatively low in fat. It’s the perfect meal to make one night for dinner and pack up for lunches the next few days. Not only does the recipe make enough to feed a small army, but it’s a complete meal that maintains its integrity after being reheated. I mean, not many other “tacos” can say that…
There are just SO many things I love about recipe. Tacos already rank up there as one of my go-to meals, mainly because of their versatility, but this whole ‘deconstructed taco’ thing has officially won me over.
The mild heat from the chipotle peppers combined with refreshing cilantro and lime juice makes for the perfect balance of flavors. I loved mixing in some creamy 2% Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream) to give it even more a taco bowl flare. We also really enjoyed eating it as a salad/dip with blue corn tortilla chips!
My fellow texture-lovers know it’s all about that added crunch.You can also totally add in some avocado but I am having major first world problems over here and am unable to find a decent avocado to save my life. I think I felt up about 20 of them in the grocery store before just saying screw it. Next time I am going after those things Hunger Games style.
Also, sidebar, how is it that Chipotle doesn’t offer quinoa as a grain option yet?? I mean, right?! Sure, everyone loves rice, but KEEN-WAH is the new sheriff in town and just so happens to compliment Mexican flavors gloriously. Who is with me? Let’s start a movement!And just to be clear. Just because this meal is healthy does not mean that you can’t include a spicy margarita on the side.
So if you have 30 minutes to spare and you’re in the mood for a total flavor fiesta, this recipe is your ticket!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper, finely chopped + 2 tbsp adobe sauce
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp reduced sodium taco seasoning, store-bought or homemade*
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1½ cups quinoa
- 1½ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil if using a cast iron skillet)
- Optional garnishes: 2% fat Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), additional cilantro, sliced green onion, lime wedges, additional chipotle peppers and tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and green pepper and saute until softened, ~4-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, begin preparing quinoa by adding chicken broth, water and quinoa to a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed, ~15 minutes.
- Add ground turkey to skillet and cook until browned, ~5 minutes, breaking into small pieces with a spatula
- Add chipotle pepper, adobe sauce, taco seasoning, and lime juice. Stir to combine. Add black beans, green chiles, quinoa and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Cover contents with shredded cheese and place in the oven, uncovered, for ~8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve!
1 tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika (I like using smoked paprika)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper