This hunk of burning love gives any beef burger a run for its money. Inside this toasted bun I give you a chicken burger patty seasoned with peppers, Dijon mustard and herbs… topped with lemon basil hummus and arugula… finished off with a drizzle of balsamic. Light and nutritious, yet full of flavor. Tell that sexy bacon cheeseburger to take a hike.
These just became my second favorite hand-held delight, next to my beloved Apple & Feta Chicken Burgers. So nice I had to do it twice.
This has surely become my staple chicken burger recipe. It pairs nicely with just about any topping your heart desires to throw on. Which, if you’ve been reading my blog, you know how dramatic I can get with toppings.
Limitless. Anything goes. Go big or big home. Exhibit A….
In fact, I would usually say this burger is TOO lightly dressed, however the toppings all complimented each other so nicely and I was far too gluttonous this weekend anyway. But let’s switch gears and talk about this lovely hummus….
You guys. If you haven’t tried making homemade hummus, please let me send you a years supply of Tahini so you can get started immediately. You will be ruined for the greater good and start thinking the store-bought tastes too processed while becoming smitten with the ease and tastiness of making of your own. Try this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with only four ingredients and you will see what I mean!
This lemon basil hummus is light and refreshing and tastes equally great on raw veggies as it does on pita chips (#dietitiantalk,. Though, I must say, it tastes best on these chicken burgers. It just really does them justice. Let the hummus take the place of other higher fat, sodium-laden condiments and you have yourself a delicious meal filled with protein, healthy fat and fiber.
If you’re not burger-obsessed like yours truly, you could serve these in lettuce wraps, on top of a salad or crumbled up in a wrap or taco shell. You could also make the hummus into a salad dressing by just whisking in a little extra virgin olive oil. A whole new meal transformed!
Let’s hug it out in burger form.
Chicken Burgers with Lemon Basil Hummus
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/3 white onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper (color of choice), finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp herb de provence – sub for Italian seasoning
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: fresh arugula, good-quality balsamic vinegar
Lemon Basil Hummus
- 1 can Garbanzos/chick peas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- Start by adding all hummus ingredients to a high-power food processor or blender. Blend for ~2-3 minutes, until all ingredients become pureed in consistency. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine all burger ingredients. Mix with your hands until ingredients are well-incorporated. Form into 6 burger patties.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray or add a little extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. Add burger patties and cook 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Spread hummus on each side of bun. Assemble burgers and go to town!