Avocado, Greek yogurt and a wealth of herbs and spices join forces to create this quick and easy Avocado Green Goddess Dip. Served with veggies, crackers or crusty bread, it’s a nutritious, five-star appetizer your guests will swoon over. I’m no expert, but I do believe this is how you become an instant appetizer hero.
Or is that only when you whip out a giant cheeseball and a fancy array of cured meats?
I wouldn’t know since 98.8% of the time, I’m the one that shows up to a party or potluck with a veggie tray. No shock value there.
Veggies galore may not be as exciting as the fancy cheese boards, BUT I can promise you I will have multiple homemade, flavor-fiesta dips and hummuses to accompany the plethora of raw, crunchy delights. So, am I still invited, or what? I can also make a mean bloody Mary!What kind of appetizers are you serving on Thursday? Do you go all-out on apps and nibbles or try to keep it minimal to not impede the big meal?
I love an ambitious appetizer spread as much as the next person, but I can also relate to the struggle of filling up too much too soon before the main meal. In an attempt to keep myself in check, I try to plan my lineup around these essentials:
- Satiating protein. This could include a bowl of hummus, a Greek yogurt-based dip, deviled eggs, edamame, or shrimp cocktail.
- Fiber. It doesn’t get any easier than a big ol’ tray of raw veggies!
- Heart-healthy fats. I usually opt for a bowl of unsalted mixed nuts, but a few varieties of cheese doesn’t hurt either. Or an entire cheese board. What the hell.
The very best thing about this dip is that it comes together in 5 minutes. FIVE! That gives you all the extra time in the world to prep the 200 other things you need to make, or to simply sit down and pour yourself a cocktail. I totally support the latter.
Simply chuck everything in the blender (or food processor) and watch the work be done for you. I’ll dip to that.Avocado adds velvety creaminess, while fresh herbs and lemon add bright, earthy flavor. Amped up with a dash of anchovy paste for salty contrast, this dip is guaranteed to rev up your taste buds and make your guests even more excited about the veggie tray.
Also! If you have any leftover, this dip makes for an ultra tasty spread on sandwiches, burgers and wraps. There’s only 5 minutes and 10 ingredients between you and this creamy dreamland of a dip. Cheers to that!
- ½ cup 2% low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise (either canola or avocado oil based)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a high power blender or food processor. Blend for 1-2 minutes, until creamy and well-combined.