Easy weeknight meals on deck! The words simple, quick and flavorful are KEY for weeknight meal planning for me. Nutritious, of course, is an added bonus.
I’ve been experimenting more with brown rice noodles and absolutely love them. They’re a great, healthful alternative to ordinary pasta and cook in less than FOUR minutes. Four minutes! They’re also gluten-free, an excellent source of fiber and have a nice mild flavor that allows for a wide array of sauce pairings.
The best thing about bowl-style meals like this is you can get as creative and versatile as you want. You can essentially customize it to coincide with your food preferences and I’ll bet any combination you choose will be delicious. Toss in whatever vegetables you have on hand and a protein of your choice (chicken, shrimp, beef, tofu, etc.).
The sauce has four simple ingredients: rice vinegar, reduced-sodium soy sauce, peanut butter and coconut palm sugar. The Sriracha topping is optional, though since the sauce is on the sweeter side, I love the spicy contrast of the Sriracha sauce.
It also makes for fantastic leftovers to take for lunches during the work week. Believe it or not, this dish is actually great served either hot or cold. Leftovers would be great served over a bed of fresh spinach for a hearty salad!
Also worth mentioning, all of the components of this dish (with exception to the noodles) are prepared in ONE pan. Can I get a Hallelujah?? I don’t know about you guys, but nothing impedes my love for cooking like a huge pile of dirty dishes at the end of a meal. I absolutely loathe them. I will gladly prepare anyones meal if they agree to do the clean up afterwards. Any takers?? 😉
Give this fun, flavorful bowl a try for your next weeknight dinner. It’s sure to be a crowd and taste-bud pleaser!
Shrimp Brown Rice Noodle Bowls with Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 box of Maifun brown rice noodles — I used Annie Chun brand (found at Whole Foods)
- 12 large peeled and deveined shrimp (about 6.5 oz)
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup baby or matchstick carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- One bunch of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce — use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos for gluten-free
- 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or sweetener of choice — sub for honey or brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp coconut or sesame oil for cooking
- Optional topping: thinly sliced green onion, Sriracha sauce
- In a large pot, bring 2-3 quarts water to a boil. Add half of noodle package, boil 2-4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion, peppers and carrots. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and shrimp. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the shrimp turn pink.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients: rice vinegar, soy sauce, peanut butter and sugar.
- Pour sauce into skillet with vegetables and shrimp. Add noodles and toss all ingredients to evenly distribute sauce.
- Transfer to serving platter and top with cilantro, nuts and green onion. Finish off with a drizzle of Sriracha.